Tuesday 29 October 2013

Spanish tortilla with sweet potatoes & spinach

We've had some epic storms over the last couple of days but luckily, our part of the world appears to have escaped the worst.  I took the dog down to the beach as our usual walk in the park - a park full of old trees - just didn't seem safe.  Keith loved chasing around in the sand despite the rain and eventually the sun came out to say hello. 

I woke up really early this morning - not woken by the storm but by dreaming of scrambled eggs on toast.  It must have made me hungry in my sleep and that woke me up.  I wonder if other people dream of food the way I do - I can smell and taste it even when I am asleep :-)

With a craving for eggs there was only one thing to do - I made a Spanish tortilla for lunch but with sweet potato instead of "normal" ones.  It was delicious and very quick to make, so if you are ever after a fast meal, I can recommend this one.  Plus it's nutritious and filling - can't be a bad thing.  I had mine with a simple tomato & chive salad - yum!  The 2 pieces on the photo are half the tortilla (erm - I ate the rest of it too :-))

Spanish Sweet Potato Tortilla (serves 1)


Ingredients:
1 sweet potato (ca. 125g peeled weight)
2 large eggs
1/2 a small onion
a little olive oil
a large handful of fresh spinach leaves
salt & pepper
a dash of ground paprika (optional)

Method:
  1. Thinly slice the sweet potato and onion and gently fry in a little oil in a small fyring pan until soft.
  2. Place the spinach into a sieve and pour boiling water (from the kettle) over it.  Rinse with cold water to stop it wilting further, then squeeze out any liquid.
  3. Add the spinach to the potato/onion in the pan.
  4. Whisk the 2 eggs in a bowl together with the seasoning; pour over the potato mix and continue to cook on a low heat until you can see that the egg is almost cooked (no runny bits left).
  5. Pop under the hot grill to finish off, then serve hot with a salad of your choice.






No comments:

Post a Comment