Monday 11 March 2013

Childhood favourites...

Brrrr...I am not too sure what happened to Spring but it surely has disappeared from Wales.  It is absolutely freezing and we are even expecting some snow again today.  Oh well - nothing I can do about it apart from wrapping up warm when taking Keith the dog out for his walks.  

With Mr Happy Larder having been away for a few days, I mainly feasted on leftovers but I also made one of my childhood favourites: pasta bake with tomato sauce.  This is a very basic meal but I remember it from when I was a child and still love it.  I'm pretty sure we had it because it was not only tasty but also affordable and looking at the nutritional value, I think it is not doing too badly either ;-)

The recipe is so easy, you don't actually need a "proper" recipe for it.  For two portions, simply cook enough dried pasta for 2 people according to the packet instructions and once done, place in an ovenproof dish together with a good helping of frozen peas (or other frozen vegetables).  In a bowl, mix 2 large eggs with a bit of milk and seasoning; then pour over the pasta.  Now top with grated cheese and pop in the oven at 180 - 200c for about 20 - 25 minutes.  The egg will cook, the cheese will melt and get crispy and you will have a quick and tasty meal. You can also add ham to the dish - simply chop and stir into the pasta/veg mix before pouring over the eggs.

This is best served with a simple tomato sauce.  For mine, I melted a knob of butter in a saucepan and added half a chopped onion.  Gently cook until translucent, then add a spoonful of flour.  Now add a couple of spoonfuls of tomato puree, some water, salt & pepper and some dried Italian herbs.  Job done - easy tomato sauce!  Enjoy!



5 comments:

  1. This is something I have never had before but it certainly does look easy and tasty. Two of my main requirements most days! Stay warm and well~Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is tasty, I think and so easy. Definitely what's needed in this weather! Hope you'll stay warm too! Kirsten x

      Delete
  2. That would be very popular with the offspring. We have pasta bakes but generally either tomato or cheese. I like the idea of adding eggs. Tea on Thursday night sorted, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent - I hope your family will enjoy this! I find it really comforting and also filling because of the extra protein from the eggs. Kirsten x

    ReplyDelete