Despite the lack of sleep I am pleased to say that I have finally got the search function on the blog to work - now, the "Search for Inspiration" button on the right-hand side will make it so much easier to find dishes and good food ideas.
You could amend the recipe by adding raisins, other dried fruit or chocolate chips but I must say I like the original version and enjoyed a couple of slices for my breakfast.
Have a lovely weekend!
Date & Walnut Loaf
60g soft butter
1 large egg
6 tbsp milk
1 tbsp golden syrup (or honey)
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
80g chopped dried dates
80g chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (fan oven).
- Put the butter, egg, milk and syrup in a bowl and beat together for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl, then add the dried dates and walnuts.
- Lightly grease a small loaf tin (I used a 1lb one) and spoon the mixture into the tin, smoothing the top (my dough was quite firm, almost like a bread dough but that didn't seem to matter).
- Bake on the middle shelf for 40 - 45 minutes - use a skewer to check if the loaf is done. If not, increase the baking time by another 5 minutes. If the loaf is browning too quickly, cover it with foil.
- Once done, cool on a wire rack.