Wednesday 19 June 2013

Mock mayo

I love mayonnaise - in sandwiches or burger buns, as a dip...yummy.  I do, however, also love fitting into my trousers, so I try not to have too much of it too often.
A very good and tasty substitute that won't ruin the waistline is this simple little trick: mixing plain yogurt with mustard.  And it couldn't be easier: for one portion, simply mix 2 heaped teaspoons of plain yogurt (2% fat or more) with a little mustard (Dijon, grainy or whatever you have) and season with salt and pepper.  It's creamy and tastes just as good as mayonnaise...without the guilty conscience :-)

4 comments:

  1. I am a lover of mayonnaise as well and eat it on almost everything. But the weight issue does concern me so I have been having garlic yoghurt (with Greek yoghurt) with some of meals which is quite nice. I could just add some mustard to this and use it as mayo. Will give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do like it! Nothing wrong with having mayo but when I realised that 100g of the stuff has 79g of fat, it had to become a more occasional treat ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi K. This "faux mayo" idea is grand. I can't wait to try it. And when I mentioned it to my partner, he suggested adding some white wine vinegar or lemon to replicate that slight acidity that mayo "kindly offers". Not tried it myself, but I thought it worth sharing! V from Muswell Hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to add some more acidity. I hope you will enjoy it :-) x

      Delete