|Salmon & broccoli pasta bake|
I guess that's the beauty with cooking - you can always change the recipe into something you'd prefer to eat, so please feel free to play with this one.
Right, I guess I had better updated the much-neglected recipe index - I am still trying to find a better way of listing all the recipes in a more user-friendly way.
Salmon & broccoli pasta bake (serves 4)
Note: if you hate capers and/or anchovies, you can leave these out but I would add a little mustard to the sauce to give it a bit of a "kick"
- 250g pasta shapes (I used wholemeal twirls)
- 300g broccoli, cut into large florets
- 2 tsps butter
- 25g plain flour
- 500ml milk
- 2 tbsp mascarpone (or use some double cream)
- 8 sundried tomatoes, rehydrated in some hot water & chopped into pieces
- 2 tbsp small capers (optional) rinsed to remove excess salt or vinegar
- 8 anchovy fillets, halved (optional)
- 10 large fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 4 fresh skinless salmon fillets (approx. 100g per person), cut into bite-size pieces
- a little grated cheese for topping
- a little mustard (optional - see note above)
- Preheat the oven to 190C/fan 170C.
- Place the salmon pieces into an ovenproof dish (roughly 20 x 30cm).
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions and 5 minutes before the end, add the broccoli to the pan to cook together with the pasta. Drain well and spread over the salmon pieces in the ovenproof dish.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the flour and stirring continuously, add the milk until everything thickens to a smooth sauce.
- Remove from the heat and add the mascarpone (or cream), sundried tomatoes, capers, anchovies and basil.
- Adjust the seasoning, stir and then pour over the pasta/broccoli/salmon.
- Sprinkle on a little grated cheese and bake for 25 - 30 minutes until pale golden in colour. You may want to put the grill on for a couple of minutes just to crisp up the top but that's optional.
- Serve on its own or with chunks of crusty bread and a simple salad.
(recipe adapted from BBC Good Food)