Just as warm and comforting is the dish I cooked for lunch today: creamy chicken soup with rice. This is so easy to make, doesn't cost the earth and is filling and comforting. And using a couple of shortcuts makes this a very quick meal to put together - what more does one need on a cold or rainy day?
|Creamy chicken soup with rice|
Creamy chicken soup (serves 4)
a little butter or oil
1 large carrot, cut into small cubes
1 leek, chopped
1 stick of celery, cut into small cubes
1 red bell pepper, cut into cubes
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
a few chilli flakes (to taste)
2 chicken breasts, cubed
2 tbsp cornflour (to dust the chicken)
2 rashers of bacon, cubed
250g cooked rice (good way to use up leftover rice or for extra speed, why not use a packet of cooked microwave rice as a shortcut)
200ml evaporated milk - about half a can (I used a reduced fat version)
500ml water (you may need a little more to get the consistency you'd like)
1 chicken stock cube
salt & pepper to taste
a good handful of chopped chives
- Heat the oil/butter in a large pan and add the chopped vegetables and garlic. Add the bacon and cook everything until the vegetables have softened.
- Toss the chicken breast pieces in cornflour and add to the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently.
- Now pour in the evaporated milk, sprinkle on the chilli flakes (if using) and crumble in the stock cube.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan - the mixture will now be quite thick, so start adding water until you have the consistency you would like.
- Heat through, add the chopped chives and adjust the seasoning.
This would also work well with added mushrooms or with ham instead of the chicken.