Yay - it's almost the weekend! Another wet one here, I'm afraid, but that hasn't deterred me from really, really wanting a salad for my dinner. Not just any old salad though but one that I like to call a "boys' salad": a marinated steak salad with feta cheese and sweet potato (I seem to have a bit of a thing for the latter at the moment).
What I love about this is that the meat is marinated after cooking and hence retains lots of the yummy flavours of the marinade. This is a great little dish for friends or a quick and easy dinner when time is short. Oh, and it is absolutely delicious :-)
Marinated steak salad (this is enough for 2 people)
200g rump steak
For the marinade:
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 tbsps olive oil
zest & juice of half a lemon
a pinch of salt
1 tsp dried herbs e.g. oregano or thyme
For the salad:
50g feta cheese, cubed
300g sweet potato, cut into wedges
a handful of cherry tomatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 180 - 200 degrees.
2. Cut the sweet potato into wedges, brush with a little oil, season and place on an oven tray in the oven to cook for approx. 20 minutes.
3. Mix all the marinade ingredients and set aside.
4. To cook the meat, heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Lightly oil the meat, then fry for 1.5 - 2 mins on each side - it will continue to "cook" once placed in the marinate.
5. Remove the meat from the pan and slice into strips (approx. 1cm thick), then place the meat in the marinade. Stir to ensure it is evenly covered and leave for 4 minutes. You can also put the whole steak into the marinade and slice it afterwards.
6. Assemble the salad and top with the strips of meat and the hot sweet potato wedges from the oven.
(recipe inspired by Nigella.com)