Friday 16 March 2012

To eat or not to eat...

Carrot cupcakes
After taking the dog for a walk this morning, I finished off the carrot cupcakes by decorating them with cream cheese icing and a few fancy sprinkles.  The cakes are not terribly sweet, so the icing works well with these.  Might have to make these again sometime... 

Now, as is probably obvious from this and my other blog entries, I enjoy food.  Having a meal either at home or in a restaurant, watching my favourite show "Masterchef" - it's all about lovely food.  But this makes me ponder the question whether it is right to enjoy, in particular, fine dining when there are people starving in the world who quite frankly couldn't give a damn if something was created with a cauliflower foam or jus de whatever.  And yet, I love watching and reading about and sometimes eating this type of food - is that selfish, inconsiderate...?

On top of everything else, the society I live in wants me to be a stick insect thin person, so I am supposed to be on a diet all the time and deny myself the foods I am lucky enough to have.  Great!  :-(  I guess at least part of the answer is to keep enjoying food, be mindful of waste and decadence and thankful to have enough (or rather: more than enough) to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment