|Sweet chilli sauce...|
I thought it would be really difficult to make this sauce and that it would taste nothing like commercial brands. I am glad to say I was wrong on both counts and I will try and make more stuff like this from scratch. I'll keep you posted on any progress.
Sweet Chilli Sauce
1 red or orange pepper
100ml white or rice vinegar
100g caster sugar
dried chilli flakes or 1 - 2 fresh chillies (red, deseeded)
- Roughly chop the pepper and fresh chillies (if using)
- Put in a saucepan, cover with the water, vinegar and sugar and bring to the boil. Add the chilli flakes at this point if you are using these instead of fresh chillies.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, then leave to cool.
- Once cool, blend until smooth; then return to a low heat for another 10 -15 minutes or until the mixture turns sticky.
- Leave to cool before serving. Ideal for stir fry dishes or as a dipping sauce.