I have, however, taken photos of the dinner I made last night using the leftovers: bubble & squeak cakes with cold cuts. I had promised to show a few recipes using leftover mash or potatoes in my post a couple of days ago. You can make these marvelous little cakes whenever you have some leftover potatoes and vegetables and they go with pretty much anything. If you like, you can add fresh herbs or spices to change the flavour according to what you want to serve with them but the idea is to keep it simple and to use up the bits and pieces you have in your fridge or larder.
Bubble & Squeak cakes
- a small bowl of leftover potatoes (roast potatoes, mash, boiled - anything goes as long as they are cooked)
- a small bowl of leftover vegetables (again, anything goes as long as it is cooked)
- half an onion, chopped finely
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tbsp oil for shallow frying
- In a bowl, roughly mash up the potatoes and vegetables and add the chopped onion.
- Add the egg to bind the mixture together and season according to taste.
- Divide the mixture into equal parts and - with wet hands - form into balls, then flatten into cakes before frying.
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the cakes on both sides until golden brown and heated through.
Serve with slices of cold roast meat, ham or just with a simple salad as well as mustard, ketchup or any other condiment you fancy.