The idea of filling a tortilla bread with pizza ingredients is great but I also love that you can make it into a healthier meal by adjusting the amount of cheese you'd normally use on a pizza. It'll still taste full of cheesy yummy goodness but by adding most of the filling to only one half of the tortilla and then folding it over, you save on calories and fat but definitely not on taste. It's totally up to you what you want to put inside this lovely snack food...perfect! (I topped my tomato base with spinach, cooked chicken breast, bits of bell pepper and some grated cheddar cheese - yum!).
Have a lovely weekend!
Pizzadilla (Pizza quesadilla, tortilla pizza)
Ingredients per person:
1 tortilla bread (plain or wholemeal)
2 tbsp tomato puree
dried herbs (basil, oregano)
plus your favourite pizza toppings
- Mix the tomato puree with the dried herbs and seasoning.
- Spread on the tortilla bread like you would on a pizza.
- Now add your favourite pizza toppings on one half of the tortilla, finishing off with a sprinkling of grated cheese.
- Fold the non-filled side over the filling and dry-fry in a frying pan on a medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes, checking now and again that the bread is browning but not burning.
- Flip over and dry-fry the other side - once both sides are browned and the cheese inside has melted this is ready to serve. cut in half and maybe with a little salad on the side.
If you use a large frying pan, you should be able to cook two of these at once. If making more, it might be easier to cook these on a baking sheet in the oven.
(recipe adapted from food.com via Pinterest)