I woke up really early this morning - not woken by the storm but by dreaming of scrambled eggs on toast. It must have made me hungry in my sleep and that woke me up. I wonder if other people dream of food the way I do - I can smell and taste it even when I am asleep :-)
With a craving for eggs there was only one thing to do - I made a Spanish tortilla for lunch but with sweet potato instead of "normal" ones. It was delicious and very quick to make, so if you are ever after a fast meal, I can recommend this one. Plus it's nutritious and filling - can't be a bad thing. I had mine with a simple tomato & chive salad - yum! The 2 pieces on the photo are half the tortilla (erm - I ate the rest of it too :-))
Spanish Sweet Potato Tortilla (serves 1)
1 sweet potato (ca. 125g peeled weight)
2 large eggs
1/2 a small onion
a little olive oil
a large handful of fresh spinach leaves
salt & pepper
a dash of ground paprika (optional)
- Thinly slice the sweet potato and onion and gently fry in a little oil in a small fyring pan until soft.
- Place the spinach into a sieve and pour boiling water (from the kettle) over it. Rinse with cold water to stop it wilting further, then squeeze out any liquid.
- Add the spinach to the potato/onion in the pan.
- Whisk the 2 eggs in a bowl together with the seasoning; pour over the potato mix and continue to cook on a low heat until you can see that the egg is almost cooked (no runny bits left).
- Pop under the hot grill to finish off, then serve hot with a salad of your choice.