|Mushroom soup - a warm hug in a bowl|
Food waste is a big problem and by whizzing up some soup, you can breath new life into those leftover bits of veg that could otherwise so easily end up being thrown away. Definitely a feel-good meal on many levels!
Mushroom Soup (serves 2)
1 tsp vegetable oil, a handful of mushrooms (chopped), 1 - 2 sticks of celery (chopped), 1 medium-sized leek (chopped), 1 vegetable stock cube, a pinch of dried sage or thyme,1 tbsp of cream
Optional: 1 tsp of brandy, 1 - 2 bay leaves
- Heat the oil and gently fry the chopped vegetables until soft
- Add herbs and brandy (if using) and crumble in the stock cube
- Pour over enough water to create the wanted consistency - you may like your soup thicker or thinner, so start of with using a little water and then add to it gradually
- Once the vegetables have cooked for a few minutes, remove the bay leaves (if using) and take the soup of the heat
- Blend the soup with a hand blender - again, you may want it really smooth or with a few mushroom chunks left in, so blending time depends on the consistency you prefer. A couple of minutes should do the trick.
- Add the cream and stir - ready to serve either eaten on its own or with a bit of bread on the side