Rather than reaching for a packet of shop-bought biscuits, why not make this quick sponge cake that can be filled with cream & jam, a fruit mousse,...? I couldn't believe how easy it was to make this - it was mixed and baked within 30 minutes!
|Easy sponge cake|
Easy sponge cake (for 26cm diameter springform)
- 3 medium eggs, separated into whites & yolks
- 90g self-raising flour
- 90g sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175 C (or 160 C for a fan oven).
- Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites in a bowl until stiff.
- Stir in the yolks, then slowly add the sugar and fold in the flour.
- Fill into a lined 26cm springform and bake at the lowest shelf in the oven for ca. 20 - 25 minutes (until golden brown).
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Once cooled you can split this into halves and fill with whipped cream & jam or use as a soft sponge base for a fruit tart.
Make a chocolate version of this by adding a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder to the flour. Yum!