|Korean sweet & spicy tofu|
Well, this recipe for Korean sweet & spicy tofu (continuing yesterday's theme of world foods) was a revelation! Before you recoil in horror, this would work equally well with chicken, pork or prawns :-) The tofu was crispy thanks to a coating of cornflour applied before frying, the sauce was sticky, sweet and spicy and I demolished the lot in seconds. The sauce is probably one of the best I have made - we will have this again soon with chicken and stir-fry vegetables!
The recipe for this came from a lovely blog called "The Vegan & Korean" - please click on the blog name for a link. I amended it slightly to the sauce recipe below:
Sweet & spicy sauce (serves 2)
1 tbsp finely minced or shredded ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp white or rice vinegar
1 tbsp white wine (optional)
4 tbsp sugar or agave syrup or maple syrup (I used maple)
1 cup water
1/2 - 1 tsp chilli flakes or fresh chilli
1 tbsp corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- Combine all the ingredients APART FROM the corn starch/water mix (see last ingredient) in a pan and slowly bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the corn starch/water mix and stir frequently.
- The sauce should now be syrupy and thickened - if it is still a little runny, just add more corn starch/water mix to thicken further.
- Leave the sauce to cool slightly, then use to liberally coat your cooked tofu/chicken/...